How AMCHA carried out its mission of investigating, documenting, educating about, and combating antisemitism in 2016.
LOOKING BACK AT 2016: AMCHA’S ACHIEVEMENTS AND IMPACT
AMCHA Initiative is dedicated to carrying out its four-fold mission in order to protect Jewish students: investigating, documenting, educating about, and combating antisemitism in colleges and universities across the country.
Accomplishments in 2016
- MAJOR SUCCESS: AMCHA spearheaded an extraordinarily successful year-long campaign starting in March 2015 that resulted in the University of California Regents passing the landmark “Statement of Principles Against Intolerance” in March 2016, stating: “Anti-Semitism, anti-Semitic forms of anti-Zionism and other forms of discrimination have no place at the University of California.” The campaign included coordinating the efforts of a lobbying team, media specialist, a large coalition of organizations and grassroots activists, and involved direct outreach to UC, state and federal officials, an extremely impressive media campaign and organizing dozens of letters and petitions from UC stakeholders. As a direct result of our efforts, anti-Zionism has now been linked to anti-Semitism and other bigotries, and condemned by the most prestigious public university system in the world. This is an unprecedented and remarkable step forward, which will benefit Jewish students across the country.
- MORE SUCCESS: Following on our success with the UC Regents Statement, AMCHA has been working with our coalition and grassroots activists and UC Stakeholders to ensure that the statement is translated into effective responses to antisemitism on all 10 UC campuses. Our efforts began in May at UC Irvine, not long after a few egregiously antisemitic incidents had occurred, when we launched a campaign urging UCI Chancellor Gillman to publicly announce a plan of action for implementing the Regents Statement. In August, Chancellor Gillman issued such a statement and in October a vice provost published a nine-page report with recommendations for implementing the Regents Statement that highlighted promising efforts to address antisemitism and antisemitic anti-Zionism at UC Irvine.
How you can help
- Educate yourself and others about the problem of campus antisemitism and get involved:
- Visit & share our website – AMCHAinitiative.org – which contains up-to-date news and a user-friendly database of antisemitic activity on 400+ campuses.
- Ask your family and friends to sign up to receive our bulletins.
- Help us to continue our efforts to protect Jewish students – DONATE!
We rely on your generosity. On behalf of Jewish students, thank you for your contribution.
- Donate online with a single or recurring donation at AMCHAinitiative.org/donate
- By sending a check made out to AMCHA Initiative to P.O. Box 408, Santa Cruz, CA 95061
LIKE WHAT WE DO?
PLEASE DONATE OR SHARE:
Copyright © 2016 The Amcha Initiative, All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:The Amcha InitiativePO Box 408
Santa Cruz, CA 95061-7041